Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Isaiah 15 & 16

I read these two chapters this morning. Pretty harrowing prophesy. I wonder what possible implication this can have for us today and I'm a little perplexed. I wasn't even sure where Moab was, so I looked it up.
As I read, I had to wonder, "Are we Israel or are we Moab?". In which place does the United States sybolically stand? For a very long time America has been seen as a chosen nation, a "city on a hill" as the puritan John Winthrop put it. I know that in the past America has recieved God's blessing. I know that there have even been long periods of time when America has been fervently Christian, but so have many other nations.
I have to wonder if the words spoken against Moab in Ch 15 and 16 of Isaiah aren't at least a warning to a nation that has become arrogant, proud, and insolent (Isaiah 16:6). Will we forever be the object of God's blessing, or will we someday incure his wrath?
However, even if the latter is true, there is hope. Chapter 15 v5 says "My heart cries out for Moab". Then in Ch 16 is this shadowy but inspiring prophesy:

  1(A) Send the lamb to the ruler of the land,from(B) Sela, by way of the desert,
   to the mount of the daughter of Zion.
2Like fleeing birds,
   like a scattered nest,
so are the daughters of Moab
   at(C) the fords of the Arnon.
 3"Give counsel;
   grant justice;
(D) make your shade like night
   at the height of noon;
shelter the outcasts;
   do not reveal the fugitive;
4let(E) the outcasts of Moab
   sojourn among you;
be a shelter to them[a]
   from the destroyer.
When the oppressor is no more,
   and destruction has ceased,
and he who tramples underfoot has vanished from the land, 5(F) then a throne will be established in steadfast love,
   and on it will sit in faithfulness
   in the tent of David
one who judges and seeks justice
   and is swift to do righteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment